Search This Blog

Not all life coaches are created equal.

I recently journeyed to Las Vegas for my life coaching reunion.

It was my first time in Vegas and my first time out west.
Let me tell you, 
I absolutely love the air out there.
The dry heat did my skin and body well.

I attended some great business workshops and 
took lots of notes.

I made some great connections and even found a fellow life coach that lives in Asheville, too! 
Small, small world.

However, with all of the goodness, I noticed some bad.

I really thought that all life coaches were created equal.
If you are drawn to be a life coach,
you are a certain type of person.

I though all life coaches are compassionate people 
that have a deep yearning to help others 
be their best self.

Well - I found out that is not true.

There are some life coaches out there that,
in my opinion, have no business calling themselves a life coach.

After the rude awakening that 
not all life coaches are created equal, 
I came up with this list.

And yes, I know we are not perfect. 
We all have strengths. We all have weaknesses. 
If you are weak in any of these areas, 
 and you are a life coach, 
please work on yourself before you work with clients. 

4 Valuable Traits That Make Up An 
Amazing-Really-Good-Kick-Ass Life Coach

1 - Be well. 
Be healthy in body, mind, and spirit. 

During one of the workshops, the speaker had me 
read an inspirational quote. 
Afterwards, she handed me something for helping out. 
"How sweet", I thought.
Then I looked down and saw she had given me 
a $10 gift certificate to Burger King.
"Are you fuckin kidding?", my next thought.

You are a life coach. You are supposed to be an example. 
You are supposed to lead people to be healthy inside and out. 
Even if you are not a nutrition coach, 
you should know that eating Burger King is terrible. 
I would NEVER give anyone a gift certificate to 
a fast food restaurant.
I would have much rather her give me a hug and a genuine smile than give me a Burger King gift certificate.


2  - Do not speak ill of others.
Do not gossip. Do not put others down. 

Life coaches are meant to build people up.

One of my new life coaching friends overheard another coach say, "I just don't relate to all of the Barbie dolls in the group."

A true coach is non judgmental and 
would not say something like that.
In the group were several beautiful blonde slender women. Obviously, that particular coach has some jealousy issues.

Work on your shit before you take on clients. 

A true coach is not jealous of others.
A true coach is confident in their own skin.
A true coach sees the beauty in everyone they meet.

3 - No sob story of self, showing pity, 
and poor me syndrome.
We all have our story to share.
The point is to share your story briefly,
allowing personal connection,
and telling the audience how you are transformed from the experience.

If you stay in your poor me story during your whole workshop you are presenting and when you meet people you still talk about it -
here is a clue -
you aren't over it.
You haven't transformed.
You haven't done your work.

A true coach has done the work.
People will want to work with them because they see the coach pulled through as a transformed person.

4 - Listen. 
Just listen. Do not talk over people. Ask questions. Be engaging.
Share when it's important and relevant

A true life coach is compassionate and 
wants to know your story.
They want to get to know you, what you are passionate about, 
what makes you alive.

So-whether you are seeking a coach or are a coach I feel these traits make up an amazing-really-good-kick-ass life coach. 
An amazing life coach is constantly working on themselves through yoga, meditation, tapping, and constantly clearing their own negativity and blocks

Be amazing.

Peace, Inspiration, & Love,
~Amy
The Magick Muse
 Amy Riddle, C.C., Holistic Alchemist and Manifestor of Dreams is a life coach, tapping facilitator, reverend, creatress, teacher, writer, herbalist, and all out muse. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Alternative Medicine with an emphasis on herbs. She is a certified professional life coach with the Life Coach Institute of Orange County. Amy craves to inspire others to be healthy and whole in body, mind, and spirit. She has an affinity for striped socks, stinging nettle, and all things faery.