Search This Blog

I Heart Herbs - Mugwort

*Please note - The information provided is collected from my various herbal books, classes, and personal research. I am not a doctor. Always, always, always consult your physician or qualified healthcare provider before beginning any new treatment. Do your own research and think for yourself. Don't believe everything you read. Questions are good!

The Magick Muse Garden 2015


Mugwort

Latin Name: Artemisia vulagris 

Plant Family: Asteraceae 

Character: bitter, cold, drying, pungent

Constituents: antibiotic polyacetylenes, bitter, flavonoids, hydroxycoumarins, inulin, silica, tannins, volatile oil 

Actions: anthelmintic, antirheumatic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, bitter digestive tonic, diaphoretic, emmenagogue, hemostatic, stimulating nervine, uterine stimulant

Contraindications: Pregnancy. 
If taking for liver issues reduce the alcohol in the tincture first.

Parts used: Aerial parts 

Harvest while flowering in late summer. 


*************************

What is mugwort used for?

Mugwort is great for the circulatory, digestive, female reproductive, nervous and respiratory systems.

It can be used for menstrual and menopausal issues. 

It is a nervine and menstrual regulator. 
Combine the decoction with equal amount of dry ginger to make a warming tea for menstrual pain. 
Use the tincture for a variety of menstrual issues. 

It also can be taken to stimulate liver stagnation and 
sluggish digestion. 
As a digestive remedy mugwort is good for chills and fevers. 
Drink the infusion as a bitter to cool the digestive tract 
in fever management. 

In Traditional Chinese Medicine, sticks of mugwort are called moxa. Moxa is burned at the end of acupuncture needles to clear dampness and cold. This process is called moxibustion. 

*************************

Spiritual Mugwort

Mugwort is listed as one of the Nine Sacred Herbs given to the world by the god, Woden in Anglo-Saxon history. 

Mugwort increases sexual desire toward your partner. 

It is excellent in helping people heal from sexual trauma. 

Mugwort has the ability to allow one to dream quite vividly. 
You can throw a handful on your pillow, smudge your bedroom, 
or smoke it prior to bed. 
Be careful, people have different reactions. 
Some people experience nightmares, 
others have quite pleasant dreams. 
It can also deepen your sleep. 

*************************

My Mugwort Story

Mugwort and I didn't always get along. We have history. 
Years ago I was working on increasing my psychic abilities and I would burn mugwort oil in my oil burner while I slept.

Bad idea.

This gave me vivid dreams. 
Crazy-ass dreams that seemed real.
My alarm would go off in the morning telling me to get ready for work, but I would be so out of it. I felt like I had been "up" all night somewhere else, in another dimension.

I brought mugwort back into my life a few summers ago. 
I smudged a few leaves before bed. 
Again, CRAZY intense dreams.

I figured mugwort just wasn't for me.

A couple months after that during an herb class we were prompted to go out into the garden and 
talk to a particular plant.

"Become the plant's friend."

I decided I was going to have a chat with Ms. Mugwort.
I sat down in front of her...and explained my dreams. 
After I just sat there soaking up her energy. 
I wanted to make peace.
I harvested some mugwort and planted it in my garden.

I believe in facing your fears head on, 
so that night I dove right into mugwort. 

I completely OD'd on mugwort. 
I put mugwort under my pillow, on my window sill, 
I smudged the bedroom with it, and I even smoked it. 

I laid down prepared for anything.

I ended up sleeping like a baby, a hard deep beautiful sleep.

Since then, mugwort and I get along just fine.

Now I smudge with mugwort when I feel I need a little boost from the Universe figuring out my life. 

It's definitely not for everyone, but if you are friends with Ms. Mugwort she can help you tap in to your spiritual thoughts.

From my experience, she helps you work through deep internal issues. When you face your fears, give them a name, then you can move past them and into bliss.

*************************
Image Credit

Mugwort Plant Spirit Prayer
from "Plant Spirit Journey" by Laura Silvana

"We call on you, ancestors of the earth and sky. Hear our prayers. We need your medicine to heal our people and Mother Earth. We thirst for wholeness. We hunger for nourishment. Carry us in your womb as we walk this earth. Protect us from harm. Feed our children. And when we are ready to come home to the Great Spirit in the sky, carry us on your wings and fly."


*************

Are you facing a huge transition in your life?
Are you ready to release your obstacles and step forward into the life of your choosing?
Are you kind of lost as to where to even begin? 

Book your free 20 minute consultation with me today.

Click here.


Peace, Inspiration, & Love,
~Amy
 Amy Riddle, C.C., Holistic Alchemist and Manifestor of Dreams is a life coach, tapping facilitator, reverend, creatress, teacher, writer, herbalist, and all out muse. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Alternative Medicine with an emphasis on herbs. She is a certified professional life coach with the Life Coach Institute of Orange County. Amy craves to inspire others to be healthy and whole in body, mind, and spirit. She has an affinity for striped socks, stinging nettle, and all things faery.