Search This Blog

Elizabeth Gilbert Inspiration

I love Malaprop's bookstore. 

It was the first place I sat foot in on my first trip to Asheville. 

My first thought was, "I am home."

I love Malaprop's for numerous reasons, 
one being their Rocket Surgery latte. 

Another is the brilliant authors they present.

When I saw Elizabeth Gilbert was coming to town, 
I jumped at the opportunity to see her speak. 

My intuition told me this would be a good one.

My intuition did not let me down. 

She is utterly brilliant. 
Honest and genuine with a slight mischievous streak. 
This is my kind of woman.

She was here promoting her latest book,

  The Signature of All Things: A Novel 

  I admit I was not initially drawn to the book.
However, I'm drawn to Elizabeth Gilbert, and
since I was going to see her, I started to read it.

I am loving the book.
I'm only about halfway through, but
this book is so much better than I expected.

I don't know what I expected.
I certainly didn't expect to read about a 
16 year old girl into botany that would 
disappear into her binding closet to masturbate.

For me, that's when I really got into the book.

I think I need a binding closet.

When I met her, I had to ask, "So - did you have your very own binding closet as a young girl?"
She laughed and said "Didn't we all?"

So yeah, I got to talk to her about masturbation, 
which makes me smile.
Me and Elizabeth Gilbert
During the Q & A, someone asked her about her 
spiritual practice and meditation. 
She mentioned she just started getting back into meditating 
after taking a bit of a break. 
9 years to be exact. 

Everyone laughs.

She went on, talking about her writing. When you see Elizabeth Gilbert talk about writing, well, it's a transformative experience. Here is a woman that knows her deepest passion, writing. 

At some point she was like, "Maybe I should stop trying to meditate and just write."

Writing is clearly Elizabeth's meditation.

I'm a spiritual person. 
It is part of me, who I am. 
Sometimes I overdo it though. 
I overdo the spiritual practice, 
which doesn't make it quite so spiritual anymore.

Rising in the wee hours of the morning before the sunrise, I have meditated, read spiritual books, drawn oracle cards, 
sat with myself, talked to the Universe, 
written my morning pages, and done yoga.

The thing is - 
I'm unable to do all of these things every single morning.
It's too much. It's overkill.
It becomes frustrating. 

"Okay, morning pages done. Now let me read something deep and life changing. Okay. Now for an affirmation. Now for meditating. Should I meditate on my chakras or that affirmation I just read? What was that affirmation I just read?"

When did spirituality get so damn complicated?

This isn't right.

All of these practices serve their purpose, 
but no way can I do all of these every morning. 
I'll be in spiritual practice all day. 
And if I push myself to do all of it every morning? 
Well, there is nothing enlightening about that. 

You can't half ass your spirituality.

I've been tapping on a regular basis and it has calmed me down.

So now in the mornings, I get up and do yoga. 
For me, this is my meditation right now. 
When I do yoga, I don't feel like I need to do meditate. 
I'm calm. I'm serene. I feel balanced.

I remember when I first started meditating back in 2001. 
I was told meditation is mediation. 
You can't go on a walk and call that meditating. 
You can't go on a run and call that meditating.

I call bullshit.

Elizabeth Gilbert has reminded me that 
meditation can be anything really. 
Anything that you get completely lost in. 

Get lost in something. 

Yoga. Writing. Painting. 
Whatever tickles your fancy.

Do it fully. 

Don't half ass it. 

Give in and give it your all. 

I promise you it will be just as good, 
if not better than a meditation session.


Peace, Inspiration, & Love,
~Amy
The Magick Muse 

 Amy Riddle, C.C., Holistic Alchemist and Manifestor of Dreams is a life coach,
reverend, creatress, teacher, writer, herbalist, tapping facilitator, and all out muse.
She holds a Bachelor of Science in Alternative Medicine with an emphasis on herbs.
 She is a certified professional life coach with the Life Coach Institute of Orange County.
 Amy craves to inspire others to be healthy and whole in body, mind, and spirit.
 She has an affinity for striped socks, stinging nettle, and all things faery.