Search This Blog

The Artist's Way Wrap Up

I first heard of "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron at a poetry reading at Malaprop's in Asheville, NC. 

It was August, 2008. 

I was in Asheville for a week pretending I lived there. 
I wanted to make sure my big move to the mountains 
was the right move.

It was.

I moved to Asheville May 1, 2009. 

But I never got around to checking out that book.

Until last year at this time.

A fellow flyer mentioned getting an online book club going for "The Artist's Way". There are 12 chapters in the book. 
We would take a year and do a chapter a month.

BRILLIANT!

I went to Mr. K's - Asheville's amazing used bookstore and found a hardback copy with no cover. I painted it and made it my own. 

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
This book has truly enriched my life. 

The main two components to Julia's artist way formula are the morning pages and the artist dates

Morning Pages 
From Julia Cameron...
"Morning Pages are three pages of longhand, stream of consciousness writing, done first thing in the morning. *There is no wrong way to do Morning Pages*–they are not high art. They are not even “writing.” They are about anything and everything that crosses your mind– and they are for your eyes only. Morning Pages provoke, clarify, comfort, cajole, prioritize and synchronize the day at hand. Do not over-think Morning Pages: just put three pages of anything on the page…and then do three more pages tomorrow." 
The morning pages. 


I feel so much more alive since I started doing morning pages. 
I am able to think much more clearly in the mornings. 
I feel more balanced, more organized, more together. 
Past feelings and emotions come to the surface 
and I deal with them.
I have more vivid dreams 
and I remember them more clearly.

I have been practicing the morning pages all year and I have a feeling this is a habit that may never go away.

Seriously, how did I live my life without them?

Watch her informative video...

Click here.


Artist Dates 
The 2nd key ingredient in being successful 
with The Artist's Way are Artist Dates

What is an artist date

Well, basically anything you want to do 
that you don't normally do...and you do it alone. 
All alone. Singular. By yourself. If it sounds fun...go do it.

Now...I've been dating myself for years. 
I take myself out on somewhat of a regular basis. 

At first I felt my artist dates needed to be extra artsy.
Woolworth Walk, Asheville, NC
Over the year, I discovered I've always been doing artist dates.
I love to take myself to dinner on a 
Friday night after the work week.
I love journaling in pubs.
I love doing stuff on my own. 

Now, I give it a name. 

Life is meant to be an artist date. 
~Julia Cameron


Both of these activities are integrated in who I am. 
They are part of my routine, part of my life.

And let me tell you this is no regular book, 
or even a regular self-help book, 
this book is a movement!

This book has inspired me deeply and has 
had a profound impact on 
my creativity, dreams and my living my life to the fullest.

I am living The Artist Way life.

Thank you Julia Cameron for your brilliance!

Have you experienced "The Artist's Way"?
Tell me about it.


Peace, Inspiration, & Love,
 ~Amy
 The Magick Muse

Amy Riddle is an empowerment coach, crafter of sorts, writer,
herbalist, reverend, and all out muse.
She holds a Bachelor of Science in Alternative Medicine with an emphasis on herbs. 
She is a certified professional life coach with the Life Coach Institute of Orange County. 
Amy craves to inspire others to be healthy and whole in body, mind, and spirit. 
She has an affinity for striped socks, stinging nettle, and all things faery.